The Homeless Alliance is the Continuum of Care agency for five counties in WNY: Erie, Niagara, Genesee, Orleans and Wyoming counties. Our mission is to coordinate homeless services among providers and to develop systems to better utilize $12.2 million in HUD funding per year. In this position you will have the opportunity to affect the lives of approximately 8,000 people per year on a macro level. HAWNY has a national and state reputation for excellence in the work we do. We advocate for systems change on a local, state and national level. The Program Assistant will assist in the administration of HMIS activities, compliance with HUD regulations, and the coordination of homelessness alleviation activities in the five counties covered by our Continuum of Care. The Program Assistant will provide technical assistance to homelessness alleviation providers, data analysis and information management for the Homeless Alliance.
This entry level position will require a passionate person who understands or can learn how to use performance measurements and data to effect change in the homeless service delivery system.
· Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree preferred
● Must have a passion for helping others
● Excellent attention to details is required
● Must have the ability to multitask
● Must be able to work under pressure
● Must be self-motivated and be able to work independently
● Basic awareness of homelessness and poverty or be able to learn root causes and solutions to these problems
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● General proficiency with computers and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
● Ability to collaborate closely with partner agencies
● Public speaking ability
● Ability to understand federal regulations and translate them for a general audience
● Must be able to take direction and feedback·
● Assist with oversight and review of budget and expenses/vouchers of subrecipients under contract with HAWNY CoC planning grant
● Assist in the research of best practices as defined in the most current literature related to homelessness and poverty.
● Assist in the coordination of Continuum of Care activities such as in the fields of health care, employment, education, government, re-entry etc by organize meetings with service providers and establish relationship with different system partners
● Research potential funding sources for our CoC partners and explain how they can apply for funding.
● Able to learn and train people on a database called Homeless Management Information System (HMIS)
● Develop a full understanding of HUD regulations and System Performance Measurements in order to provide supportive consulting services to our partner agencies.
● Coordinate and assist with the HUD Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) Administrations
● Advocacy on local, state and federal issues involving homelessness and poverty
● Using data to effect change
● Any other duties as assigned
● Some basic knowledge of accounting principles is a plus but not required
● Experience working in program compliance is a plus but not required
● Must be able to understand and analyze data and how it relates to serving clients and successful program performance
● Experience working with non-profit agencies a plus but not required
● Ability to train and build capacity of others
● Comfortable working with persons from diverse backgrounds
● Must show initiative, and be a team player
● Must possess a valid New York State Driver’s License and must have access to a motor vehicle to meet transportation requirements within five counties with limited public transportation options
Compensation: This is an entry level position with a salary in the mid-30’s
Please submit cover letter, writing sample, resume and salary requirements to the Homeless Alliance by email to Dale Zuchlewski, [email protected] No phone calls, please. The Homeless Alliance of Western New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). This announcement may be used to fill other positions at the Homeless Alliance.