Youth Homelessness Demonstration Program
- Home •
- Youth Homelessness Demonstration Program
Erie and Niagara Counties received $3.59 million dollars towards the creation of innovative new programs to end youth homelessness. This grant process a community-wide assessment and evaluation before and during implementation. The community is working with a HUD technical assistance provider, as specified by the process, to move forward. Updates will be posted to this page!
Are you a youth or young adult with lived experience of homelessness? We want YOU to be on our Youth Action Board!
Check out more information here and apply here!
Prior to designing new and innovative projects, a Coordinated Community Plan is required to be developed and then reviewed by HUD.
Click here to check out the Coordinated Community Plans from Round 1 and 2
1. The community identifies all unaccompanied youth experiencing homelessness.
2. The community uses prevention and diversion strategies whenever possible, and otherwise provides immediate access to low-barrier crisis housing and services to any youth who needs and wants it.
3. The community uses coordinated entry processes to effectively link all youth experiencing homelessness to housing and services solutions that are tailored to their needs.
4. The community acts with urgency to swiftly assist youth to move in to permanent or non-time-limited housing options with appropriate services and supports.
5. The community has resources, plans, and system capacity in place to continue to prevent and quickly end
future experiences of homelessness among youth.
Technical Assistance and Youth Task Force Meetings
10/2/2019 (with TA providers) – Kickoff meeting Power Point
10/17/19 – Youth Task Force Meeting Power Point
- Included both Erie and Niagara County Youth Task Forces
- Governance structure decided
- Decision making strategy decided
1/23/2020 – 1.23.20 YHDP Meeting PowerPoint
- The YTF and YAB determined three projects of priority:
- Joint Transitional and Rapid Rehousing (TH-RRH)
- Crisis outreach / mobile outreach
- Coordinated Entry (24 / hr youth focused Drop in center)
Other Resources for Policy Making
Criteria and Benchmarks for Ending Youth Homelessness
Preventing and Ending Youth Homelessness: A Coordinated Community Response
Ending Youth Homelessness: A Guidebook Series
Elements of Effective Youth Programs
Each program that applies for YHDP funding must incorporate a Positive Youth Development and Trauma-Informed Framework. Here are some resources to learn how to make your programs more youth centered:
Trauma Informed Care – SAMHSA
What is Trauma-Informed Care? UB School of Social Work
About Positive Youth Development – HHS
Integrating Positive Youth Development
Positive Youth Development Measurement Toolkit